Web Directories For SEO
By Adrian Lawrence
If you are looking for ways to promote your website, then web directories should definitely be considered a big part of your promotional plan. Web directories provide web
visitors with a one-stop destination on the web to find the information they are looking for. Further, in using web directories, you can increase the visibility of your website
and derive myriad benefits offered by web directories.
Let's take a look at the benefits that webmasters derive from web directories:
1. Some webmasters might wonder why they should bother to submit to web directories when 80% of all website traffic comes from search engines. The answer is
simple when you consider the following: what about the other 20%? When you are attempting to maximize the traffic that comes to your website, every little bit of promotion
helps and web directories can help you gain a big chuck of that 20% of web traffic you have been missing out on.
2. Did you know that a key factor in the ranking algorithm of search engines is link popularity? By using web directories you will be creating more links that point directly
to your site and the raising your ranking in various search engines across the Internet. Further, everyone knows that a higher search engine ranking is equivalent to easier
accessibility and easier accessibility equals more traffic for your website.
3. The first way to increase your link popularity is to include keywords in your hyperlinks. When you submit to web directories, the links you submit should not only lead to
your site, but also should possess themed keywords within the links. The themed keywords will not only make your site easier to find, it will also increase the rating of your links in
various search engines - again getting more, free web traffic for you.
4. Links that are created within web directories are votes for a site, and they use your keywords within your hyperlinks to associate your link with certain key phrases. As
such, the keywords you select are extremely important because they determine how often your links will be pulled up whenever a key phrase is associated with your created links.
Therefore, it is a good idea to research the most popular keywords associated with your website theme before submitting your website to various web directories: the most popular
keywords can make all of the difference in the world.
5. If you are submitting to various web directories, there are a few things that you need to consider. First, for a directory to be valuable, the pages you submit your listings
to must, at minimum, be listed in various search engines. For instance, if you submit your links to a web directory that doesn't appear in any search engines, chances are web
visitors will not only have difficulty finding your website, but they will also have extreme difficulty finding the web directory you have listed your site in. In such cases, the listing in
the web directory is a fruitless endeavor. Conversely, if you list your web site in several popular web directories and you utilize keywords in your hyperlink and a short website
description, you greatly increase the visibility and accessibility of your website.
6. The second consideration you must keep in mind when submitting to web directories is that when you are submitting your hyperlinks, you will derive the most benefit
from submitting to directory pages that have a comparable theme to your website. For instance, if you have a website that is based on credit cards you will find that you get more
web traffic from a web directory page that focuses on credit cards. Thus, when searching for web directories, look for web directories with topics that parallel the central focus
of your website.
7. Here's a quick tip for you that can help you derive the most benefit from listing your hyperlink in web directories: watch out for Google Adwords because these are a
good indicator of how Google at least categorizes the page. In other words, if you mirror your hyperlinks and descriptions to appear much like those seen in Google ads, you will
more than likely increase your search engine ranking as well as your listing in various web directories.
8. In order to be successfully listed in any web directory, you will need to conform to the terms and conditions of the directory. Typically, web directories list a series of
specific listing regulations that you must adhere to and it would pay for you to adhere to them. In addition, to improve the chances of your listing being accepted you should try to
avoid promotional language and you should choose a category that is as close to your website theme as possible.
9. Webmasters have much to look forward to in terms of web directory posting. In fact, the next generation of web directories are now appearing that allow business card
type pages. Not only do webmasters get the opportunity to post a short description of their website, but they are also afforded the opportunity to display their logo and contact
information as well. Such offerings prove to be particularly appealing because eye catching logos and easy contact information will make a Webmaster's website that much more
10. In the end, web directories are a valuable part of your web promotional program and should not be overlooked in terms of their value. Along with the use of search
engines, and article databases, a Webmaster can be pleasantly surprised at the free advertising available on the Internet. Finally, the increase in web traffic that webmasters reap
can be truly astonishing indeed.
About The Author
Adrian Lawrence is the webmaster of Indexplex a leading web directory. Please feel free to republish this article provided this
resource box remains together with a working hyperlink.